Sunday, February 14, 2010

Be My Valentine... (courtesy of TMJ)


I'm not really crazy about Valentine's Day, (or "Singles Awareness Day" as some of my friends call it!), but I still thought this fanart was cute!

I did some googling and found some interesting Valentine's Day facts and some ridiculous superstitions... here's my Top list:

~ 85% of all valentines are purchased by women
~ Roughly 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's Day gifts to their pets
~ The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine's Day.
~ Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentines Day candy box in the late 1800s.
~ If you see a squirrel on Valentine's Day, you will marry a cheapskate who will hoard all your money.
~ In Medieval times, girls ate bizarre foods on St Valentine's Day to dream of their future spouse.
~ Many believe the 'X' symbol (as in "xoxo") became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn't write their names signed in front of a witness with an 'X.' The 'X' was then kissed to show their sincerity.


Whether you love or hate this holiday, I hope it's a good day for everyone! :)

XoXo Andi

10 comments:

  1. No danger of that happening, Ricky.. I don't even like chocolate! I'll eat it occasionally.. but could definitely do without. My weakness is salty snacks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost ran over a squirrel today, when it stopped just short of running out in front of my car.....I wonder what meaning that has?? ;)

    Happy V-day, Andi. Don't forget to wish Mozart a happy day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!?! You don't like chocolate!! And here I was thinking of driving a big box of dark chocolate up there to you (I'm 762 miles away) . . . Oh, well, how do you feel about Grape-Nuts Flakes or string cheese or roasted pecans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of those stats aren't actually true. They're just urban legends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, no no.... today is Anna Howard Shaw's birthday, she was a leader of women's suffrage in the United States, and the first female ordained Methodist minister! So, I like you, REJECT Valentine's Day. HAPPY ANNA HOWARD SHAW DAY, ANDI! (thank you 30 Rock)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Knows - string cheese is fun!

    Jonathan - hmm I don't know, I think the one about the squirrel sounds very scientific! lol.

    MH - And tomorrow it's Louis Riel Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HaHa, Happy Valentine's Day, Andi! :)
    I saw a squirrel today. Hmmmm.... Gee, I hope Jonathan is right---but how can I be sure???

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you have a valentine even though you don't like it much, and if you did what would your dream valentine do, like for a planned date?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kitty Mozart was my valentine ;)

    I don't really have an answer for a "dream date".. but definitely not the standard "dinner & a movie" routine.. how boring! I like to keep things interesting, and check out new places. On my last "date" (quite awhile ago now!), we went to a Graffiti Gallery and then to a pub with live jazz music. It was really cool! :)

    ReplyDelete